17 October, 2019
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls Recipe – Great Main Dish or Appetizer
This baked southwestern egg roll recipe can be a great main dish or an appetizer. They can be served warm or my family even likes them cold. They can be made spicy or mild, to your specific taste. If you need something to take to a potluck or for hosting an event, you can’t go wrong with these.
They are not a traditional Chinese egg roll. There is not any egg, or cabbage in them. The egg rolls are made with chicken (which you can leave out for a vegetarian version) spinach, spicy seasonings and Monterrey jack cheese.
There is a chipolte dipping sauce to serve these with as well. I normally have to double my sauce because my kids like to put it on other things as well. So, when I make it I make it, I make enough to put in the refrigerator for them .
If you want to use these as an appetizer, use a smaller tortilla, like a taco size. I use a larger, but not too large, of tortilla for a main dish. When I do a main dish, I serve them with a salad or re fried beans and Spanish rice.
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Egg Roll Ingredients:
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic – minced
2 pounds chicken breast – cubed into small bite sized pieces.
1 green bell pepper – diced
1 red bell pepper – diced
2 medium-sized jalapeno peppers – diced small (omit if you don’t want them spicy).
2 – 16 ounce cans black beans – rinsed and drained
2 – 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach – thawed and squeeze dried
1 – 10 ounce bag frozen corn – thawed
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese – shredded
20 – 30 small taco size tortillas or 15 medium/large tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté till translucent. Add in garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly so that your garlic does not burn.
- Add in chicken breast and peppers. Cook till chicken is completely cooked.
- Add in the black beans, spinach, corn, cilantro and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add in the cheese and cook till cheese is melted.
- Put filling into the middle of each tortilla and fold up egg roll style. See pictures below.
- Place on a cooking sheet, seam side down.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or till tortilla is lightly brown and crunchy.
- Serve with chipolte sauce.
How To Fold Egg Roll Style
- Add filling to the center of your tortilla.
2. Fold up the bottom part of the tortilla.
3. Fold in both sides to the middle of the tortilla.
4. Fold down top and place seam side down on cookie sheet.
1 – 16 ounce container sour cream
1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
1 – 4 ounces can chipolte chilies in adobo sauce – chilies taken out and chopped ahead of time.
Mix all ingredients, sour cream, salsa, chilies and adobo sauce, together. Set aside to let the flavors come together for at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
How did you like these southwestern egg rolls? Is there anything you would add or change? Put your feedback in the comment section below.