12 July, 2019
Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie – A Pie To Remember!Comments : 2 Posted in : Dessert, Pie on by : Karen Metz Tags: best ever coconut cream pie, coconut cream pie, pie, pie recipe, recipes
I threw this recipe together because my son asked for it! I don’t even have pictures of it yet. He is planning on making it tonight with some friends. I would love to see how it turns out for him.
Coconut cream pie is one of my all time favorites! My oldest daughter came up with this recipe one year when she made it for me for my birthday. That was one of my best birthday’s ever! We ate coconut cream pie and watched all three seasons of Gilligan’s Island plus the final movie. That was a lot of television, but we all enjoyed it. The coconut cream pie went right along with the theme. I still wonder how Mary Ann made a crust and heavy cream on the island! I guess that was one of things that made the show so good. Things that could not be explained, like why would people take so many cloths and luggage of money on a three hour tour? I loved watching this show when I was young and I still enjoy it today! The pie just made it so much better!
Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie
1 baked pie shell – My recipe here.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
1 – 2 cups grated coconut
1 cup whipped cream
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Prepare and bake pie shell: let cool completely before filling.
- Combine sugar; cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually add milk and stir till combined.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Temper eggs – Stir several large spoonfuls of hot pudding into beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs with pudding back into hot saucepan. Return to heat and boil 1 minute. Pudding should be thick.
- Take off heat and add vanilla and coconut flavoring.
- Put into pie shell and let cool completely.
- Whip cream and add enough sugar to desired sweetness.
- Put whipped cream on top of cooled pie then sprinkle with toasted coconut.