23 August, 2019
Easy Quinoa Side Dish – A Great Superfood!
Quinoa, pronounced Keen-wah, is considered a super food because it has such great health benefits. It is very high in fiber, antioxidants, protein, and vitamins. It is also gluten free and low on the glycemic scale. So, people who are gluten intolerant and diabetic would benefit from eating this wonder food. Pregnant women can also benefit from this because they need to get more folate into their diet. For vegetarians and vegans, you will find a complete source of protein with quinoa.
For one cup of cooked quinoa you will get these recommended nutrients:
- Trace amounts of vitamin E
- Trace amounts of calcium
- 9% potassium
- 10 % of the RDA recommended amounts of B vitamins – B1, B2, B3, B6
- 13% zinc
- 15% iron
- 18% copper
- 19% Folate
- 28% Phosphorous
- 30% Manganese
- 30% Magnesium
- 3.5 grams fat
- 5.2 grams fiber
- 8.14 grams protein
- 39.4 gram carbohydrates
- 222 calories
It is easy to incorporate quinoa into your diet. I have been substituting it for my rice side dishes and so far my family has loved it. With this easy quinoa side dish recipe, you can also get a lot of vegetables into your meal as well.
Before I made this today, I went through my refrigerator and got out all the vegetables that needed to be used up before they went bad. I found mushrooms and peppers, plus I had an onion. You can use just about any vegetables you have on hand or ones your family likes.
I also cook for at least 9 people at one time, so feel free to scale this recipe down if you need to.
Easy Quinoa Side Dish
2 cups raw organic quinoa
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 red bell pepper – diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper – diced
1/2 orange bell pepper – diced
8 ounces mushrooms – any variety, diced
2 garlic cloves – minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese – grated – optional
- In a large saucepan add quinoa and broth. Bring to a rolling boil. Turn down on low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa is simmering, chop vegetables and mushrooms. Put them into a large cast iron skillet with a couple tablespoons cooking oil on medium heat.
- Saute vegetables till mushrooms are cooked and vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add to vegetables, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- When quinoa is done, add vegetables and mushroom mixture to it. Stir well.
- Add in Parmesan cheese if using and stir again.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
With this simple recipe, you can incorporate a great super food into your diet. You will be adding a complete protein, fiber, and gluten free food that contains many nutrients that you need every day. It also gives you the chance to add in vegetables that many people miss out on in their diets.
If you have never tried quinoa, start with this recipe! It is simple and adds a lot of flavor.
If you have had the chance to try this recipe, let me know how it turned out for you! What kind of veggies did you use?
Is this something you are willing to try? I appreciate any suggestions and comments.
As an Amazon Affiliate Associate, I make commission on any qualified purchase.