7 November, 2019
Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe – Absolutely The Best!
that it is falling apart, has stains all over it from food getting on it, and the pages are yellowing. It no longer has a cover so I cannot find out the year it was published so I keep it in a gallon sized zip lock baggie to preserve it.
Chocolate pie is one of my favorites! It was also my Pastor’s favorite. He would request it often. He passed away suddenly this past week, so I am dedicating this recipe in honor of him. I will think of him every time I make this homemade chocolate cream pie recipe.
In this recipe I have always used Baker’s unsweetened chocolate. The recipe does not specify the brand of chocolate to be used, but this is the brand my mom uses and it is what I have always used. I’m sure different brands can be used, but I am afraid to change because so many people like this pie. If you use a different brand, let me know the brand and how you like it. You can put your suggestions and comments in the comment section below.
In one part of the recipe it says to temper your eggs. This is so that you slowly bring the eggs up to temperature and you will not get bits of cooked egg in your pie.
To temper your eggs:
- Put eggs yolks in a large glass measuring cup and lightly beat them.
- Add two large scoops of the hot pudding mix into the cup with the eggs and stir it well.
- Add mixed egg and pudding into the pot with the rest of the pudding mix and stir well.
- Put mix back on heat and cook 1 minute to cook the egg, stirring constantly.
Ingredients For Chocolate Pie
2 – 9 inch baked pie shell – Here is my easy flaky pie crust recipe.
2 cups sugar
10 tablespoons cornstarch
4 squares unsweetened chocolate – broken up. I use a whole package of Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups cold whole milk
5 egg yolks – slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract – the original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, but I thought that was too strong so I cut back on it.
4 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Prepare pie shells and let them cool – Easy, flaky pie crust recipe here.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually stir in cold milk, mixing until smooth. Add broken chocolate pieces.
- Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Temper eggs: stir two large spoonfuls of hot mixture into egg yolks, mixing well; pour back into saucepan.
- Bring back to boiling, stirring; boil 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in extracts and pour immediately into cooled pie shells.
- Let cool completely before putting on topping.
- In a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer put heavy whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat till stiff peaks form.
- Spread on top of cooled pies.
- With a sifter, lightly sprinkle top of whip cream with cocoa powder.
This pie might have a few extra steps than most, but the outcome is so worth it! Do not be afraid to try this recipe. In the comment section below, let me know how it turns out for you or if you have any questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.
I am an associate affiliate with Amazon and Ibotta. I make a commission with any qualified purchase at no extra cost to the consumer.