13 September, 2019
Oven Baked Cube Steak Recipe
I love recipes that I can prepare then put in the oven to bake. It gives me time to work on my online WA home business, or to do school with my kids in the fall when our homeschool starts. I can put the cube steak in the oven and have a free hour and half to do what needs to be done the most. This oven baked cube steak recipe is one of my favorites to do just that!
After getting the cube steak prepped and put in the oven, all I have to do is figure out what kind of vegetable to serve to go with it. Today I had baked acorn squash. My kids love it when I clean out the cavity of it’s seeds, add a tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. I then pack the cavity with brown sugar and bake till the squash is tender. I also have a musk melon or cantaloupe that I am slicing up as well.
Cube steak – Enough for 1 per person or if they are large, cut them in half and use 1/2 per person. I used a total of 6 and cut mine in half when serving them. I only had to feed 8 people but this gives me enough leftovers for those who need to take a lunch to work the next day.
Salt and Pepper
1 cup Flour
Oil for frying – I used peanut oil or coconut oil. See my article on oils!
2 large onions -sliced
Potatoes – 1 per person, peeled and quartered. I used red potatoes, so I skipped the peeling part. For me this is worth the extra expense of buying red potatoes.
1 family size can mushroom soup
3/4 soup can of milk
- Take thawed out cube steak and liberally salt and pepper them.
- Dredge each cube steak in flour till both sides are covered. Discard any unused flour.
- Preheat cast iron skillet. Add enough cooking oil to your pan to cover the bottom. I used bout 1/4 of a cup of oil.
- In hot oil, brown cube steak for 2-3 minutes on each side or till just brown. They will not be fully cooked. Continue this step till all cube steaks are browned.
- Place cube steak in a large cast iron Dutch oven or a roaster pan that has a lid.
- Top meat wit a layer of all the onions.
- On top of the onions place the quartered potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mushroom soup and milk till it is well combined.
- Pour evenly on top of potatoes.
- Put lid on pot.
- Bake 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or till potatoes are soft and meat is thoroughly cooked.
Comments Are Encouraged!
Learning how to cook can be hard, but when you are willing to try new things, ask questions and retry again, you will learn so much! Also, you need to be able to take constructive criticism well. I always appreciate it when my family tells me what they like and don’t like about a dish. My older children are now actually telling me ways that I can make a dish better. That is awesome and I always encourage it. Then I tell them they need to get in the kitchen and do it themselves! I’m such a good mom!
So, this is where you come in! I encourage you to ask your questions and/or give me suggestions! Let me know if you make cube steak and how you make them. My mom always pan fried hers and served them with mashed potatoes and milk gravy. Happy eating!