9 June, 2020
The Best Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
It is that time of year again! I love this time when the strawberries here in Michigan are ripe and ready for picking and the rhubarb is full and bright red. It is like the two come into season at the same time just to be used for a beautiful and delicious homemade pie.
This is the best strawberry rhubarb pie recipe that I have ever tried. It is sweet and tart but not too much of either. I like my pies a little more on the tart side, but this one is more well-balanced than the way I like them. So, if you like tart the way I do, you can add more rhubarb. If you like them on the sweet side, add more sugar but if you add more strawberries, be sure to increase the amount of cornstarch.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
I used my own flaky crust recipe. You can use your own or a bought crust. The filling makes 2 regular 8 inch pie shells or 1 9 inch deep dish pie shells. The recipe is also good with a double crust rather than the crumb topping.
- 4 cups rhubarb – diced or sliced 1/4 of an inch thick This is about 1 pound and a half of rhubarb.
- 6 cups strawberries – cut in half
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 7 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cold butter – cut up into small pieces
- Make pie dough according to directions. Roll out, put into pie shell, trim and flute. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut rhubarb and strawberries into a large bowl. Add sugar, cornstarch, lemon and the zest of the lemon. Stir till thoroughly combined.
- Put filling into pie crust.
- Make crumb topping by putting all ingredients into a medium size bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour and sugar until it starts to look like small peas in the dry ingredients.
- Evenly spread the topping on top of the fruit in the pie shells.
- Or, if you are using a double crust, place your second crust on top of fruit filling and then moisten the crust with a little water and sprinkle sugar over the crust.
- Place pie in preheated oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until fruit filling is bubbly and crumb topping or top crust is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
More Pie Recipes
Keep the pie making going with these other pie recipes you are sure to love!
Leave A Comment
I would love to hear how this pie turned out for you! Do you have a special ingredient? Do you like your rhubarb pie tart or sweet? Leave me a comment below!